Contribute  :  Advanced Search  :  Site Statistics  :  Directory  :  About Warpstock  :  Past Events  :  Privacy Policy  :  Links  :  Polls  :  Media Gallery  :  FAQ's  :  My Downloads  :  Forum  :  Logo Links  :  Calendar  
Warpstock Corporation
Welcome to Warpstock Corporation
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 08:33 PM

Forum Index > Warpstock - The Organization > What Should Warpstock be Doing? New Topic Post Reply
 Programming course
 |  Printable Version
StuUpdike
 October 04 2009 11:08 AM  
Forum Newbie

VAC365 required Netscape IIRC but there is a way to run the installer without it (don't know all the details). VAC308 does not require Netscape as I recall. It has been a long time since I installed either (I've just copied the installed files to each new machine). That said, these are no longer directly available (ebay or if someone happens to have copies). e(X)WP uses 3.08 and Odin uses 3.08 (but can be built with 3.65). The Flash plugin is being developed with 3.65. These are the only current projects I know that use VAC.
Unless you already have a copy (or desire to work on Odin or XWP) then I'd primarily recommend Watcom or GCC. And in the context of the course I don't know that I would focus on VAC at all (due to the limited availability).
Andy[/p][/QUOTE]

Big Grin

I agree that we should forgo discussion of VAC due to its lack of general use.

Stu

Profile Email
StuUpdike
 October 04 2009 11:18 AM  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Blonde+Guy

Stuart,

Each day, you ask for material that would fit nicely into ten days. Some teacher could run through it in one day, but I have my doubts that any students would really absorb much of the information.

Monday: Andy covered the compiler issue pretty well.

Tuesday: Selecting the right tool for the job would be a pretty good sub-topic. You mentioned messing with music files, which is a scripting task, suite for REXX or perl.

Wednesday: This is pretty much OK.

Thursday: That does sound like too much for a day, or even a week. Could be done. Maybe just a survey of the problem, so you would have an idea what you are asking.

Friday: Sounds good. We would not have time to actually port anything, but it's a nice topic. I'd love to see GNU hello world presented, which is an example of how to port the well-known 1 line C program to a new platform.

Hello Neil,

WRT Tuesday, parsing a PM123 playlist and copying the songs to a CD may very well be a good project for REXX, but my goal here was to suggest small enough projects that they could be covered in the time at hand. I think this one could. In any case, talking about REXX would be counterproductive. Big Grin

WRT Thursday, okay, let's cut the TrackPoint driver thing and divide this time among the previous topics and the upcoming topic (porting).

Have a great day!

Stu

Profile Email
LewisR
 October 04 2009 12:29 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

WRT porting & building:

What I think would be of tremendous value is a discussion of differencing files, patch, and how to work around platform limitations (I ran into a situation a few days ago where the latest version of the app I was trying to port supported IPv6, with no obvious way of disabling it in the conf - at least no -disableIPv6 option). I ran into some similar issues (though not IPv6) when working on OpenVPN. Paul immediately recognized the issue and said, "Oh, you need to use these headers, here, to stub around that." How would I have known?

Reading the log from make -d would also be extremely helpful for not only porting, but also building in general. I find that for some reason, it's easier for me to spot makefile issues when reading the log under Linux than under OS/2, probably because the errors are more...um...expected.

Just some random thoughts about this.

PS - Stu, there's a checkbox in the options below your post to notify of replies. My user prefs enable this by default. If yours don't you might want to check it each time.

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS, EA Treasurer, Warpstock Corporation

Profile Email Website
StuUpdike
 October 05 2009 19:24 PM  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: LewisR

WRT porting & building:

What I think would be of tremendous value is a discussion of differencing files, patch, and how to work around platform limitations (I ran into a situation a few days ago where the latest version of the app I was trying to port supported IPv6, with no obvious way of disabling it in the conf - at least no -disableIPv6 option). I ran into some similar issues (though not IPv6) when working on OpenVPN. Paul immediately recognized the issue and said, "Oh, you need to use these headers, here, to stub around that." How would I have known?

Reading the log from make -d would also be extremely helpful for not only porting, but also building in general. I find that for some reason, it's easier for me to spot makefile issues when reading the log under Linux than under OS/2, probably because the errors are more...um...expected.

Just some random thoughts about this.

PS - Stu, there's a checkbox in the options below your post to notify of replies. My user prefs enable this by default. If yours don't you might want to check it each time.

Hello Lewis,

I don't know much about the porting issues you mentioned, but I agree they sound relevant to the goal at hand.

The check box you mentioned is checked, but apparently some of the emails addressing the C courser were not direct replies to my messages, so I did not know they existed until I happend to come here and check.

Have a great day!

Stu

Profile Email
Blonde Guy
 October 08 2009 14:49 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

WRT porting & building:

Porting is pretty distinct from programming, though. There's little value to differencing files, patch and working around platform limitations if you are writing an original OS/2 program.

If we give a day to porting (that was Friday on our agenda on page 1), then maybe walk through a port and show off the tools you listed. It's quite likely we'd need a different instructor for Mon-Thurs, as opposed to Fri. It almost looks like a separate course.

For the programming course people -- are you willing to give up programming time for porting?

And a general question -- the course as outlined will cost money. Are you willing to pay, say $500, for a course like this?

Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Profile Email Website
StuUpdike
 October 09 2009 06:54 AM  
Forum Newbie

WRT porting & building:

Porting is pretty distinct from programming, though. There's little value to differencing files, patch and working around platform limitations if you are writing an original OS/2 program.

If we give a day to porting (that was Friday on our agenda on page 1), then maybe walk through a port and show off the tools you listed. It's quite likely we'd need a different instructor for Mon-Thurs, as opposed to Fri. It almost looks like a separate course.

For the programming course people -- are you willing to give up programming time for porting?

And a general question -- the course as outlined will cost money. Are you willing to pay, say $500, for a course like this?

I can go either way with Friday. If we have an instructor for Mon. - Thu. who is prepared and can cover the ground, it could work to do porting on Friday, but what would everyone think about running a separate course on Saturday? Maybe some who come for Warpstock would like to take it.

As for the money, I am willing, but I do not know what the job front will look like a year out.

BTW, this list is not notifying me when people reply to my messages even though the box is checked.

Y'all have a great day!

Stu

Profile Email
Blonde Guy
 November 03 2009 22:50 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

So far, we have some three people already who have posted that they'd be interested in taking a programming course.

This is still looking like a survey course to me -- we don't go into depth, but just show how to set up the tools, and how to compile an example program, and a review of the code of the sample program to see what it does.

Also, I see interest in learning C or C++ on the OS/2 platform, which in a one day format would look like setting up the compiler, compiling the sample programs from a current textbook and showing how the debugger works. Students would then be prepared to take a real C++ course at their local community college, but to do it in OS/2 (or eCS).

Finally, I see interest in a porting course. That would be setting up the porting tools, and doing a demonstration port, looking at how to overcome typical porting problems.

If you are reading this, please comment if you'd be interested in taking such a course, or if there is something else you'd like to see in a Warpstock course.

I plan to invite some of the top active OS/2 programmers. Course fees will be used for instructor travel, food and lodging.

Profile Email Website
StuUpdike
 November 15 2009 11:58 AM  
Forum Newbie

So far, we have some three people already who have posted that they'd be interested in taking a programming course.

This is still looking like a survey course to me -- we don't go into depth, but just show how to set up the tools, and how to compile an example program, and a review of the code of the sample program to see what it does.

Also, I see interest in learning C or C++ on the OS/2 platform, which in a one day format would look like setting up the compiler, compiling the sample programs from a current textbook and showing how the debugger works. Students would then be prepared to take a real C++ course at their local community college, but to do it in OS/2 (or eCS).

Finally, I see interest in a porting course. That would be setting up the porting tools, and doing a demonstration port, looking at how to overcome typical porting problems.

If you are reading this, please comment if you'd be interested in taking such a course, or if there is something else you'd like to see in a Warpstock course.

I plan to invite some of the top active OS/2 programmers. Course fees will be used for instructor travel, food and lodging.

Hello Neil,

I am simply not interested in just a survey course. I want a course that I can dedicate a week to and have it immerse me in creating C or C++ programs. Once I can create simple programs like the several I mentioned, then I can go on and teach myself more.

I would point out that the prospect of this course has not yet been given wider dissemination and I did not even know this forum existed until you invited me here.

Have a great day!

Stu

Profile Email
Blonde Guy
 November 19 2009 11:09 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I am simply not interested in just a survey course. I want a course that I can dedicate a week to and have it immerse me in creating C or C++ programs. Once I can create simple programs like the several I mentioned, then I can go on and teach myself more.

Stu

So far, I haven't found two people with the same course request. I really want ten people with the same need to make the course financially viable.

I invite you or anyone to put together a course summary and see if you can get a second person interested. We're ready to announce Warpstock. I have potential instructors. I need a course proposal.

Profile Email Website
LewisR
 November 19 2009 14:27 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

We should probably put something out on OS/2 World, etc. concerning a request for those would-be programmers who might be interested in such a course. As it is, we're simply too spread out for word of mouth or even email chains to be of much use.

Just thinking out loud....

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS, EA Treasurer, Warpstock Corporation

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.45 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:34 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content