Contribute  :  Advanced Search  :  Site Statistics  :  Directory  :  About Warpstock  :  Past Events  :  Privacy Policy  :  Links  :  Polls  :  Media Gallery  :  FAQ's  :  My Downloads  :  Forum  :  Logo Links  :  Calendar  
Warpstock Corporation
Welcome to Warpstock Corporation
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 06:31 AM

Forum Index > Website > Techno Babble New Topic Post Reply
 on Facebook?
 |  Printable Version
BigWarpGuy
 October 14 2010 21:05 PM (Read 9225 times)  
Forum Full Member

Would it be possible to have Warpstock on Facebook? Question
Cool

TomLeeM aka BigWarpGuy aka BigGoofyGuy TomLeeM Art Stuff (my art on stuff). http://www.cafepress.com/tomleem

Profile Email Website
LewisR
 October 28 2010 21:14 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

While not an official policy, as Chair of the website committee, I can tell you that I would not like to see Warpstock on any social networking sites. For more on my reasoning, here, feel free to peruse my IT blog, specifically, Why social networking sites are evil… E-V-I-L (part 1) and Why social networking sites are evil… E-V-I-L (part 2).

If a compelling case could be made that Warpstock is missing out on some quality exposure by not being on Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, or Twitter, I'm certain the Board of Directors would consider the idea.

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS, EA Treasurer, Warpstock Corporation

Profile Email Website
BigWarpGuy
 October 28 2010 21:43 PM  
Forum Full Member

How about also or on MySpace?

I have a MySpace account for blogging about tech stuff and a Facebook account to keep in touch with friends and family.
http://www.myspace.com/bigwarpguy
http://www.facebook.com/bigwarpguy
Perhaps one do the same for Warpstock.org? Question

TomLeeM aka BigWarpGuy aka BigGoofyGuy TomLeeM Art Stuff (my art on stuff). http://www.cafepress.com/tomleem

Profile Email Website
LewisR
 October 28 2010 21:57 PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Please read my previous response...

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS, EA Treasurer, Warpstock Corporation

Profile Email Website
Blonde Guy
 November 18 2010 09:50 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I just read this, and I have to admit that I have been promoting Warpstock and my own company Blonde Guy on Facebook and Linkedin.

However, the security risk is very great. At first, I didn't get it, and at first, my friends were linked only to a very small circle. But as time went on, my friends increased their circle of friends and the net went wide. Still no big problem, but that meant people could at least see some information I wasn't comfortable sharing. So I removed a lot of information.

But then my friends started running apps. They'd Poke me, or play one of the games my son wrote (Mafia Wars, Farmville Wedding Street) I read the Facebook API and I then removed all apps from my account. I'm still fairly safe, although I've added Wedding Street back because they already have all my info. That's the only safe app on Facebook, because it's the only app entirely owned by by extended family.

So I maintain it is still safe to use Facebook, if
1. use no apps. I mean none. If any app asks for permission to share, say no.
2. any information you put in Facebook is public
3. turn your security settings way up, so friends of friends cannot do anything.

This way, you'll still get spammed, but that's no worse than having a public e-mail address.

Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Profile Email Website
Blonde Guy
 November 18 2010 09:53 AM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Going back to Big Warp Guy's point.

1. Facebook - I think we should do it, and link to every OS/2 group on Facebook.
2. MySpace - I think we should shun MySpace, it's over.
3. LinkedIn - I think we should do LinkedIn, and try to link to every OS/2 user we can.

But I only have so much time. I can set up the groups, but I need a volunteer to spend time. Lewis pointed out that social apps are a waste of time, so I don't use them every day. When I have to do something, I do it and then close the browser. All I need is a daily Facebook user to volunteer.

Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Profile Email Website
BigWarpGuy
 December 25 2010 14:47 PM  
Forum Full Member

While not an official policy, as Chair of the website committee, I can tell you that I would not like to see Warpstock on any social networking sites. For more on my reasoning, here, feel free to peruse my IT blog, specifically, Why social networking sites are evil… E-V-I-L (part 1) and Why social networking sites are evil… E-V-I-L (part 2).

If a compelling case could be made that Warpstock is missing out on some quality exposure by not being on Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, or Twitter, I'm certain the Board of Directors would consider the idea.

Quote by: LewisR

Please read my previous response...

Thank you for the links and information. I have gone to the site and read them.

With a diminishing number of OS/2 and eCS users, there will be fewer going to a convention for it. Perhaps one day there won't be a Warpstock since there are so few who will attend. I am hoping that is many years down the road. Cool

Profile Email Website
BigWarpGuy
 December 25 2010 14:51 PM  
Forum Full Member

Quote by: Blonde+Guy

Going back to Big Warp Guy's point.

1. Facebook - I think we should do it, and link to every OS/2 group on Facebook.
2. MySpace - I think we should shun MySpace, it's over.
3. LinkedIn - I think we should do LinkedIn, and try to link to every OS/2 user we can.

But I only have so much time. I can set up the groups, but I need a volunteer to spend time. Lewis pointed out that social apps are a waste of time, so I don't use them every day. When I have to do something, I do it and then close the browser. All I need is a daily Facebook user to volunteer.

I go to Facebook daily (evenings) to check on my crops in Farmville and do auto work in Car Town and post (occasionally) in Facebook. I use MySpace to blog about technology. Smile

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:31 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content