Subject: Has anyone already visited the Valhalla Inn in Ontario?

Posted on: September 06 2007 @ 01:43 AM
By: LewisR

Content:

I'd be interested to hear of some personal experiences at the hotel if anyone has stayed there recently.

Replies:

Has anyone already visited the Valhalla Inn in Ontario?

Posted on: October 14 2007 @ 01:50 PM
By: HDRW

Content:

[QUOTE BY= LewisR] I'd be interested to hear of some personal experiences at the hotel if anyone has stayed there recently.

[/QUOTE]

No I haven't, but I have to say it seems terribly pricey, at $120/night plus quite high taxes. I have to wonder why we're going to Canada for the second year in a row, which for Americans must look expensive with the current weakness of the US$ (currently at about parity with the CDN$).

Even without the transport, this Warpstock is looking like US$1,000 for me!

Cheers,

Howard

Posted on: October 14 2007 @ 02:00 PM

Content:

I think we all agree that the exchange rate and the pricing came together to make things a bit harder to fit together this year, Howard. It was really a matter of logistics: we didn't have another bid for the US which looked feasible, and the clock was running out.

Tom has suggested Las Vegas, and Neil is going to be there in person in January. We have a number of hotel options, and travel should be much more affordable for everyone coming from all over the globe, so let's see how 2008 shakes out. Hopefully, we'll be able to get a bid in for consideration nice and early, giving us more lead time than we've had in recent years.

It is our goal to be able to finally annoucne the location of the next year's event at the current one. We may be getting closer to attaining it.

Posted on: October 17 2007 @ 08:13 PM
By: triton

Content:

I'm a bit concerned about the price too, especially as the two presentations that I would REALLY like to attend are both on at the same time and it is a bit hard to justify the trip for just one and a half hours prime.

I guess I'd like to know if the timetable is set in stone or is it likely to change.

Posted on: October 19 2007 @ 11:11 AM
By: JWE

Content:

I have noticed comments regarding the hotel room price. I have a list of the room costs for the past number of events excluding taxes. See Below:

1999 - $129.00 USD

2000 - $129.00 USD

2001 - $104.95 CAD

2002 - $129.00 USD

2003 - $ 85.00 USD

2004 - $ 79.00 USD

2005 - $ 99.00 USD

2006 - $115.00 CAD

2007 - $120.00 CAD

None of the prices reflect the exchange rate between US dollars (USD) and Canadian dollars (CAD). In 2001, the exchange rate meant that the $104.95 CAD translated to about $68.00 USD. During the years when the rate was $129.00 USD, Canadians, such as myself, would end up paying about $180.00 CAD. The fact that the exchange rates have changed is beyond our control.

This year's rate is comparable to other hotels that provide similar facilities. It is necessary for the hotel to meet certain criteria for the needs of the conference.

Posted on: October 19 2007 @ 10:42 PM

Content:

[QUOTE BY= triton] the two presentations that I would REALLY like to attend are both on at the same time and it is a bit hard to justify the trip for just one and a half hours prime.[/QUOTE]

Which two presentations? While it's generally not easy to shuffle presentations for a single request, stranger things have happened. In addition, it's not uncommon for presenters to repeat sessions on an ad hoc basis (one year, I did four Wi-Fi classes). Sometimes, you may be pleasantly surprised at how many presenters are happy to do one-on-one sessions, too (hey, I work for food - sometimes!). Laughing Out Loud

Seriously, if Chuck gets a few requests to adjust the schedule, I'm sure he'll consider it.

Posted on: October 22 2007 @ 07:33 PM
By: gstaffrd

Content:

The Valhalla Inn is an upper mid level hotel and conference center. For someone looking for basic accomodation, there are at least 5 motels within 5 or 10 minutes driving. The East and West Malls are on the border with Mississauga. A quick search on Google or Yahoo! for "motel mississauga dundas" and you will find 3 or 4 within the space of 3 city blocks (1900 to 2000 blocks).

The Super 5 Motel lists their rates starting at $66.

I haven't lived in the area in quite a while. The Fort York used to be used mainly by long haul truck drivers (parking for trucks in the back).

Mississauga Gate Inn a couple doors over; Travelodge Inn (a little further west),

GS

Posted on: November 09 2007 @ 02:01 PM
By: BigWarpGuy

Content:

I had put in a bid for New Jersey (Princeton or Atlantic City) but every time I chose a time slot/month-days t o submit, it would be booked before I could confirm that it could be chosen; therefor, I had to chose a different time slot/month-day. It got to be very frustrating. Plus some of the rates were not so low. I will try harder this year for next year. I was surprised no one else had really bid on it. Cry

It would be neat to have it near me next year. Laughing Out Loud Cool Mr. Green

Warpstock Corporation - Forum
http://www.warpstock.org/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=298